Welcome to The Open Atmospheric Society, known as “The OAS”.
We give you a voice where other societies may not.
The OAS is an international membership society for the purpose of studying, discussing, and publishing about topics in atmospheric related earth sciences, including but not limited to meteorology, hydrology, oceanography, and climatology. It is open to anyone with an interest at the associate level, but student and full memberships also are offered.
The purpose of the society is to foster quality atmospheric science and atmospheric science communications through outreach, member education, member publishing, and electronic media.
- Our motto: verum in luce means “truth in the light”.
- Open science— a transparent online peer review process. Publishing peer reviewer comments (not names), will illuminate the process.
- Open membership— Associate members, anyone who has an interest in atmospheric science, can join at a basic rate, providing interdisciplinary membership. Professional full members, will require a degree in atmospheric sciences or related earth science or physical science disciplines, or three published papers in these subjects. Student members get a reduced rate, similar to associate members with option to full member elevation. See the OAS Charter for full details.
- Open journal— The Journal of the OAS will be free to read by the public.
- Author account—each author and co-author will have accounts for collaboration, submitting papers , making edits, and responding to reviewers.
- No other journal asks this upfront: strict OAS Journal submission requirements—technical submissions to the Journal by members must include all source data, software/code, procedures, and documentation to ensure reproducibility of the paper’s experiment or analysis by external reviewers.
- Emphasis on reasonable publication turnaround, generally three months or less.
- Press releases will be sent with each publication, author assistance is offered in preparation.
- Statements and positions regarding atmospheric science as it relates to current news.
- Video production assistance for authors to explain papers and post to the journal page with your paper.
- Organizational activity will be conducted entirely online – This means no costly brick and mortar infrastructure, no costly postal mailings journals, and no need for warehousing paper files and publications.
- Online meetings conducted via Skype for organizational purposes.
- Nomination/Voting for officers and other issues conducted online.
- Monthly email newsletters and special online webcasts.
To join, please go to The OAS Membership Portal
The initial setup of The OAS was made possible by a grant from Stephen and Dr. Mary Graves. We thank them for their foresight and generosity.